Thursday, May 19, 2011

Why I Run

I’ve been running for 5 years, during which time I have both loved it and endured it.  Running has brought the most pain I have ever experienced but, it has also been the most rewarding. There were times during a race where I’ve asked myself, “why am I doing this?”, but then I crossed the finish line exhilarated and thought about training for the next one. So, why do I do it?

I run so I can eat. I love pizza. I can eat it a couple times a week if my husband let me. I like frozen pizzas from Totino’s , Red Baron, and Jacks. I like to order it from Rosatis, Giordanos, and Pizza Hut. I also love chocolate, Dove chocolate to be specific. Bring me a bag of Dove Peanut Butter chocolate, and I’ll be your BFF.

I run because I never thought I could. I was never an athletic person but, running has improved my self-esteem and helped me find my inner athlete. Each run I strive to see what I can push my body to accomplish. There is hard work, pain, sweat, and time commitment. But the sense of accomplishment from crossing the finish line, or setting a new PR, or going a new distance, is indescribable. I never thought I was capable of running one mile, but this past winter, I finished 26.2 miles in a marathon.

I run to clear my head. I used to listen to my iPod while I ran; I needed the distraction and it helped the runs to go by faster. Somewhere along the way, this stopped. I listen to the sounds of nature, and it calms me. I think about what is going on in my life, and I pray. All the stressful emotions and crappy food I ate melt away as I sweat out all the junk.

I run because it teaches endurance. I have run far enough that my legs hurt, my feet got blisters, two of my toenails turned black, and I had to use body glide for the first time in my life. I pushed through the pain and reached points of exhaustion I didn’t know was possible. Suddenly your perspective changes and what used to be difficult, is not difficult anymore (I remember when running a 5k hurt my legs for days).   

I run because there were times I couldn’t. Over the last 2 years, I have experienced injury and illness that has kept me sidelined for months at a time. I missed running during these times and couldn’t wait to get back to it. I learned that I never wanted to take running for granted again. I am thankful to be running again, and I don’t care what my pace is, or how far I can go. I’m just grateful to God that I can run.

2 comments:

  1. great stuff...thanks! What's your average daily run?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Right now, it's only 2.5 miles. This week I'll be running 3 miles a day. I'm still working my way back up from the knee injury in January.

    ReplyDelete