Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Does God Care About Football?


In talking with my husband this past week about football, he mentioned controversy surrounding players expressing their faith in God. Critics have asked why it is necessary for players to pray and thank God for winning a football game. Does He really care who wins? He has bigger, more important things to deal with.

Yes, football provides us entertainment and it is a game, but let's not forget that the players are also employees. This is the career they have chosen and the work that they do to earn a living. We are called to be employees who are hard working, responsible, punctual, and perform our work to the best of our ability – no matter what type of work we do. This brings honor and glory to God.

Proverbs 25:13, “Trustworthy messengers refresh like snow in summer. They revive the spirit of their employer.”

The question shouldn’t be does God care who wins a football game.

The questions should be: Am I being a blessing to my employer by performing to the best of the ability that God has given me? Am I praying for strength and direction to honor God through my work? Am I thanking Him and giving Him the praise for my accomplishments?

Ephesians 6:7, “Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.”

1 comment: